Virginia Tech Internship in Nutrition and Dietetics
Our mission: preparing confident, competent entry-level registered dietitian nutritionists who can balance evidence-based practice with client-centered care.
Our internship program, which offers two distinct locations in Blacksburg and Northern Virginia (Washington, DC metro area), provides interns the variety and depth of experiences needed to work in the dietetics practice setting of their choice.
Some unique qualities of our program:
- Rotations are tailored to individual learning needs and interests of each intern
- The leadership and professional development emphasis is woven throughout each rotation, providing a lens through which each intern’s experience is personalized according to their goals.
- Interns work with a wide variety of preceptors and experience various professional roles that enhance networking and career exploration.
- Weekly class meetings provide frequent opportunities for guest speakers, field trips, communication, and collaboration.
- Interns design a two-week elective experience in the practice area and geographic area of their choice.
- A compact program beginning in late August and ending in early May results in early job availability.
- Scheduled vacation breaks throughout the program promote work-life balance.
The dietetic internship is the final step to eligibility to become a registered dietitian nutritionist and is preceded by completion of a Didactic Program in Dietetics (earning a Verification Statement) and a bachelor’s degree or higher. The Academy of Nutrition and Dietetics provides thorough information on the requirements and pathways to become a registered dietitian nutritionist.