Virginia Tech® home

M.S. in HNFE

A student studying

Our Master of Science in HNFE program provides a comprehensive exploration of advanced topics in human nutrition, foods, and exercise, preparing you for impactful roles in research, academia, and industry.

Benefits of the program

WitYou have boundless opportunities with our Master of Science in HNFE program, where flexibility meets specialization. Tailor your journey in Behavioral and Community Science, Clinical Physiology and Metabolism, or Molecular and Cellular Science, and unlock the potential for a dynamic career in human nutrition, foods, and exercise.

Requirements to apply

Degree Requirements
M.S. Credits: 30 total credits, 20 course credits, and 6 research and thesis credits (HNFE 5994)
Research Ethics and Integrity Requirements

Milestone Requirements for M.S. Degree

  • Convene an advisory committee
  • Submit a plan of study (due by the end of semester 2)
  • Complete all coursework on plan of study
  • Submit a progress report (due every spring)
  • Take and pass the proposal exam (due semester 3)
  • Take and pass final exam (due semester 4)
  • Submit electronic dissertation

For specific details, view the M.S. in HNFE Graduate Student Handbook or view this PowerPoint presentation for an overview of the milestones. When you click for the PowerPoint, it will download directly to your computer. 

How to apply

  1. Make sure the program fits your goals/needs.
  2. It is your responsibility to secure a faculty advisor; no students are admitted to the HNFE graduate program without one.
  3. Obtain a signed DARS from your undergraduate advisor indicating you are on track to graduate with the B.S. degree.
  4. Apply to the VT Graduate School during spring of your junior year (by June 1).
    • Select your M.S. start date as the semester following completion of your B.S. degree.
    • You must be accepted into the program BEFORE any courses can be dual counted.
  5. Review the Accelerated Undergraduate/Graduate Degree and Course Designation site. Then, complete the Accelerated Undergraduate/Graduate Status and Course Designation Form to indicate which program they wishe to enter, the term in which they will start double counting courses and which courses will be double counted (UG/G) or will be taken for graduate level credit only (Dual). This form will be reviewed and signed by the department head and graduate staff coordinator. The signing of this form indicates that the department is giving approval for the admittance of the student into the accelerated undergraduate/graduate status program.