Virginia Tech®home

Prospective Undergraduate Students

Virginia Tech’s Didactic Program in Dietetics is an ACEND-accredited program; after earning a DPD Verification Statement, students are eligible to apply to Dietetic Internship programs. Upon successful internship completion, interns may sit for the national RD exam and become certified as RD/RDNs.

HNFE’s B.S. DIET option is the Didatic Program in Dietetics (DPD).
Prospective undergraduate students interested in becoming a RDN should apply to HNFE through the VT Admissions process.

Interested in transferring into the DIET option?

  • If you are transferring from SFNE to DIET, contact your HNFE Academic Advisor.
  • If you are transferring from another VT major to DIET, you must meet the posted guidelines To continue to enhance advising and help students change a major, the university has three common change of major times each year through an online process. When a change of major time opens up, students can request a new primary major through Hokie SPA. Plan of Study documents are required to change to HNFE; information about developing a plan of study is posted on the Current Virginia Tech Students page.
  • If you are transferring from an institution other than VT, learn more about the process from the Virginia Tech Office of Undergraduate Admissions Transfer Guide.
    • If applying as a transfer student, HNFE requires that you already have a year of general chemistry and labs prior to attending VT. If you choose to take the chemistry courses at another college or university they must be equivalent to VT's CHEM 1035/1045 & CHEM 1036/1046. Additionally, you must have earned a "C" or better in those courses.
    • Using the VT Transfer Guide is an excellent first step to determining how any courses you took elsewhere will transfer into VT. Depending on previous coursework, and because many courses have pre-requisites, it can take two or more years to complete DIET course requirements at VT.
    • The HNFE Checksheets are a great resource that outlines course requirements to graduate in the DIET option, and therefore earn a DPD Verification Statement.
    • The DIET option requires students to earn a C or better in several courses (General Chemistry; Organic Chemistry; and Foods, Nutrition, and Exercise) AND maintain an overall GPA of 3.0 to remain in the option.

  • Students should refer to the HNFE Checksheets (select College of Agriculture & Life Sciences and scroll down to HNFE) for a resource that outlines course requirements to graduate in DIET and therefore earn a DPD Verification Statement.

  • A GPA of 3.0 or higher must be maintained throughout enrollment in the program.

  • Like all HNFE undergraduate students, a grade of “C” or better is required in HNFE 1004, CHEM 1035, CHEM 1036, and CHEM 2535 or CHEM 2514.

  • It is possible to take some required DPD courses at institutions other than VT. However, the following courses must be taken at VT:
    HNFE 2004, HNFE 3034, HNFE 3025/4025, HNFE 3026/4026, HNFE 4004, HNFE 4125, HNFE 4126
    For information about transferring in courses, refer to the VT Transfer Guide and work with the Academic Advising Center.

DIET Checksheets / Program Requirements:
2021 | 2022

Contact us at