Virginia Tech® home

Changing Majors into HNFE

students in lab

Virginia Tech Change of Major process:

Students are able to change majors three times per year through Hokie Spa in August, January, and May. Before going to Hokie Spa, please join the How To Major In HNFE Canvas site to submit your plan of study documents.  

To join the Canvas site:

  1. Log in to Canvas
  2. Open Courses, and at the bottom, open All Courses
  3. Click on Browse More Courses
  4. In the search box (box 1), type HNFE

Questions?  Please email

HNFE requirements to change into the major:

  • Overall Virginia Tech GPA of 2.5 or higher (3.0 for the Dietetics option)
  • Completion of CHEM 1035* or BIOL 1105 with grade of "C" or higher (or a C- or higher in CHEM 1055 CHEM for majors)

Once in the major, all satisfactory progress rules are enforced.  See page three of the graduation requirements checksheet. 

  • Overall GPA of 2.5 or higher (3.0 for DIET, double option, and double major)
  • In-major GPA of 2.5 or higher
  • Grade of C or better in CHEM 1035, 1036 (or C- or higher in CHEM 1055-1056)
  • Grade of C or better in Organic Chemistry (2535 or 2514)
  • Grade of C or better in HNFE 1004

University Policy on Selecting or Changing Majors:

Selecting or changing a major, double major, or minor
  • Undergraduate students must be enrolled in their major(s) of choice prior to the beginning of their senior year, or by the time they have 30 semester hours to complete before their graduation. 
  • Students seeking double majors must be accepted into the second major by the academic department before the university can award the second major.
  • Changes from one degree program to another (i.e., changes in major) or the addition of a second major usually can be accomplished prior to the senior year, simply by working with one's academic advisor and informing the head(s) of the department(s) and the dean(s) of the college(s) in question.
  • A major (or second major) cannot be selected after the beginning of the senior year.