We’re excited that you’re interested in HNFE!
Change of Major Dates are May 4th to May 17th, but we strongly prefer you meet with us when all application material is done before summer break.
Join the How to Major in HNFE Canvas site
- Log in to Canvas
- Open Courses, and at the bottom, open All Courses
- Click on Browse More Courses
- In the search box (box1), type HNFE
What do I have to do?
- Have an overall GPA of 2.5 and a grade of a C or higher or the CC grade option in CHEM 1035 or BIOL 1105 or BIOL 1106 needed to change in. (You can be taking one of these courses this semester, we wait on grades.) If you have questions about GPA, please contact your incoming HNFE advisor.
- Complete the required documents: the change of major form, pathways planner with the courses planned out for the rest of time at VT, and a DARS with all sections open so we can see the report. Submit these to the May change of major assignments on How to Major in HNFE on Canvas.
- Take and pass the HNFE Quiz with 100 percent on Canvas.
- Meet with your incoming advisor to have your documents evaluated when steps two and three are done before winter break.
- Then, if you haven’t already, you will need to apply in Hokie Spa to request your major change!
HNFE is a restricted major that requires students maintain certain grade and GPA standards:
- All students must maintain an in-major GPA of 2.5 or higher.
- All students must earn a C or better in HNFE 1004, CHEM 1035, CHEM 1036, and CHEM 2535 OR 2514.
- DIET option, double major and double option students must maintain an overall GPA of 3.0 or higher.
- SFNE students must maintain an overall GPA of 2.5 or higher.