For the past two years, HNFE has had the second highest enrollment of degree-granting majors, and it is the largest major in the College of Agriculture and Life Sciences.

Community Nutrition

Over one thousand students have found their home in HNFE. Please visit the Options for Study pages for information about career paths and the curriculum.

  • New students, contact Undergraduate Admissions to change your major.
  • Current VT students, view the Current VT Student page for details on how to change majors.

HNFE is a restricted major that requires students maintain certain grade and GPA standards:

  • All students must maintain an in-major GPA of 2.5 or higher.
  • All students must earn a C or better in HNFE 1004, CHEM 1035, CHEM 1036, and CHEM 2535 OR 2514.
  • DIET option, double major and double option students must maintain an overall GPA of 3.0 or higher.
  • SFNE students must maintain an overall GPA of 2.5 or higher.

Spring 2019 change of major meeting times (Wallace Hall 332):

Tuesday, April 9, 4 p.m.

Wednesday, May 1, 4:30 p.m.

Thursday, May 9, 1:00 p.m.

Are you interested in changing to HNFE and would like to meet with an advisor?  Please attend our regular walk-in hours on Wednesdays from 1:30 - 4:30 p.m. (except during course request and the first week of classes).