Angela Anderson, PhD
- Focus area(s): Human physiology, specifically in regards to metabolism and exercise; pedagogical practices to increase student perceived motivation for learning
Ph.D., Human Nutrition and Foods, Virginia Polytechnic Institute and State University, 2013
B.S., Biology and Psychology, Pacific Lutheran University, 1997
August 2020 – present: Collegiate Associate Professor, Department of Human Nutrition, Foods and Exercise, Virginia Tech, Blacksburg, VA
August 2018 – August 2022: Collegiate Assistant Professor, Department of Human Nutrition, Foods and Exercise, Virginia Tech, Blacksburg, VA
August 2016 – November 2017: Visiting Assistant Professor, Department of Human Biology & Kinesiology, Colorado College, Colorado Springs, CO
January 2015 – May 2018: Adjunct Faculty, Department of Biology and the department of Health & Wellness, Pikes Peak Community College, Colorado Springs, CO
August 2013 – May 2014: Part-Time Faculty, Department of Human Nutrition, Foods and Exercise, Virginia Tech, Blacksburg, VA
Selected Major Awards
- 2023 – CALS Recent Graduate Alumni Award, CALS, Virginia Tech
- 2022 – Certificate of Teaching Excellence, CALS, Virginia Tech
- 2020 – Excellence in Teaching Award from the Center for Excellence in Teaching and Learning at Virginia Tech
- 2013 – Michael Houston Memorial Graduate Scholarship Award, HNFE, Virginia Tech
- 2012 – Michael Houston Memorial Graduate Scholarship Award, HNFE, Virginia Tech
- 2012 – Certificate of Merit for Graduate Teaching in Excellence, Graduate School, Virginia Tech
- 2011 – Michael Houston Memorial Graduate Scholarship Award, HNFE, Virginia Tech
I currently work on research concerning effective teaching pedagogies to increase student engagement and motivation to learn. This includes research questions such as whether or not obesity or physical activity affect a student’s academic performance.
- Good D, Hulver M, Anderson, A. Metabolic Nutrition: An Everyday Approach to Macronutrient Metabolism. Dubuque: Kendall-Hunt Publisher, 2018. Print. https://he.kendallhunt.com/product/metabolic-nutrition-everyday-approach-macronutrient-metabolism-0
- Anderson AS, Girmes-Greico N, Cox H, Rockwell M, Eaton R, and Good DJ. Lessons Learned During the Transition to Online Learning. Higher Education - Reflections From the Field in the time of COVID. IntechOpen; 2023:Ch. 30. https://www.intechopen.com/online-first/86398
- Anderson AS, Good DJ. Self-perceptions of critical thinking skills in university students are associated with BMI and exercise. Journal of American College Health. 2022;70(5):1444-1450. https://www.tandfonline.com/doi/abs/10.1080/07448481.2020.1803879
- Anderson AS. One Small Step in the Lecture Hall, One Big Step for Student Motivation: Short Bursts of In-Class Small Group Work. Pedagogy in Health Promotion. 2021;7(2):135-143. doi:10.1177/2373379920963706. https://journals.sagepub.com/doi/full/10.1177/2373379920963706
- Ferqueron TR, Anderson AS, and Good DJ. The Allele Frequency of the HFE gene mutation H63D (rs1799945) and Its Relationship to a Hereditary Hemochromatosis Diagnosis in Metabolic Nutrition Students at Virginia Tech. American Journal of Undergraduate Research. 2020; 16(4):51-57. https://www.researchgate.net/profile/Deborah-Good-3/publication/339952297
- Anderson AS, Good D, Geller S, Chermak, J. (2023) Panel Discussion: A CURE for Student Engagement in Research? Embedding Undergraduate Research in Your Class. Summer Institute 2023. Blacksburg VA.
- Anderson. AS. Be Active Stay Active. (2022) Welcome Week CALS Orientation College Day. Blacksburg VA.
- Anderson AS, Kardos J, Girmes-Grieco N Lahne J, Hamilton L, Angel H, Fiola J, Glabriath J, and Steele M. (2021) Panel Discussion: Zooming Out: Sharing Recent Perspectives on Effective Teaching and Student Engagement in CALS. Virtual Panel Discussion on Best Practices in Pedagogy during the Pandemic. Blacksburg VA.
- Anderson, AS., Cox, H., Eaton, R., Girmes-Grieco, N., Good, DJ., Jasowak, D., Rockwell, M. (2021) Lessons Learned during the Transition to Online Learning. Conference on Higher Education Pedagogy. Blacksburg VA.
- Anderson, AS., Merola, J., Good, DJ., Whitehead, S., Walker, A., Kroehler, C., and Brown, A. (2021) Panel Discussion: Increasing Access to Undergraduate Research and Ensuring Success. Virtual Workshop on Mentoring Undergraduates in Research. Blacksburg VA.
- Anderson, AS and Good, DJ. (2020) Analysis of a Course-based Undergraduate Research Experience (CURE) in Genetics. Conference on Higher Education Pedagogy. Blacksburg VA.
- Anderson, AS., Arnold, N., Hanzly, L., Maczka, D., Mann, G., and Wolters, B. (2019) From PhD to Professor: Speaking with VT Alum about their First Years in Academia. Virginia Tech- Graduate Academy for Teaching Excellence (VTGrATE). Blacksburg VA.
- Williams L, Anderson AS. (2022) Are there Differences in Student Motivation for Learning when Using a Synchronous vs an Asynchronous Teaching Modality? Conference on Higher Education Pedagogy. Blacksburg VA.
- Jaskowak, D., Barker, K., Anderson, AS., Cox, H. (2021) Summer GRAs Improve Pedagogical Practices: A Case Study. Conference on Higher Education Pedagogy. Blacksburg VA.
- Anderson, AS and Good, DJ. (2020) A Course-based Undergraduate Research Experience (CURE) in Genetics. 2020 Virginia Regional Health Sciences Education Symposium. Richmond VA.