Virginia Tech® home

B.S. / M.S. in HNFE

Erin Le on a mission trip

HNFE offers an accelerated degree program for exceptional HNFE undergraduate students who wish to earn a M.S. degree with an additional year of study.

  • Talk to HNFE professors about their research interests and plans to take on new students in upcoming semesters.
  • Volunteer for undergraduate research projects
  • Contact faculty with common research interests


How does the program work?

  • Students have an opportunity to complete their M.S. degree within 12 months of completing their B.S. degree.
  • B.S./M.S. students have the same expectations as traditional M.S. students in terms of required coursework, independent research, completing a thesis, etc.
  • Students are able to get dual credit for up to 12 course credit hours (some restrictions apply).


  • Be a junior or senior in the final 12 months of undergraduate degree
  • 3.4 overall GPA
  • Have undergraduate research background (highly desirable)
  • Secure a graduate program faculty advisor:
    Talk to your HNFE professors about their research, interest in working with B.S./M.S. students, and availability in upcoming years
    Volunteer for undergraduate research projects
    Contact faculty with common research interests

How do I apply?

  1. Make sure the program fits your goals/needs.
  2. It is your responsibility to secure a faculty advisor; no students are admitted to the HNFE graduate program without one.
  3. Obtain a signed DARS from your undergraduate advisor indicating you are on track to graduate with the B.S. degree.
  4. Apply to the VT Graduate School during spring of your junior year (by June 1).
    • Select your M.S. start date as the semester following completion of your B.S. degree.
    • You must be accepted into the program BEFORE any courses can be dual counted.
  5. Review the Accelerated Undergraduate/Graduate Degree and Course Designation site. Then,  complete the Accelerated Undergraduate/Graduate Status and Course Designation Form to indicate which program they wishe to enter, the term in which they will start double counting courses and which courses will be double counted (UG/G) or will be taken for graduate level credit only (Dual). This form will be reviewed and signed by the department head and graduate staff coordinator. The signing of this form indicates that the department is giving approval for the admittance of the student into the accelerated undergraduate/graduate status program.

Robert Grange, PhD
Interim Graduate Program Director

Curtis Cox
Graduate Program Coordinator

For more information, email or call 540-231-3877.