Virginia Tech® home

Accelerated B.S./M.S. Program

Erin Le on a mission trip

The Accelerated B.S./M.S. Degree program allows advanced undergraduate students the opportunity to earn both a B.S. degree from their home department and an HNFE M.S. degree. 

Benefits of the program

The Accelerated B.S./M.S. program in Human Nutrition, Foods, and Exercise (HNFE) offers students a unique opportunity to engage with HNFE professors, discussing their cutting-edge research pursuits and future student intake. This program further allows participants to actively participate in intriguing undergraduate research initiatives, gaining hands-on experience. Through seamless interaction with faculty sharing similar research passions, students can cultivate valuable connections and delve into collaborative scholarly endeavors.

Requirements to apply

  • Be a junior or senior in the final 12 months of undergraduate degree
  • 3.4 overall GPA
  • Have undergraduate research background (highly desirable)
  • Secure a graduate program faculty advisor by talking to your HNFE professors about their research,¬†interest in working with B.S./M.S. students, and availability in upcoming years
  • If you haven't already, consider volunteering for¬†undergraduate research projects or contacting faculty directly with common research interests

How to apply

  • Make sure the program fits your goals/needs.
  • It is your responsibility to secure a faculty advisor; no students are admitted to the HNFE graduate program without one.
  • Obtain a signed DARS from your undergraduate advisor indicating you are on track to graduate with the B.S. degree.
  • Apply to the VT Graduate School during spring of your junior year (by June 1).
  • Select your M.S. start date as the semester following completion of your B.S. degree.
  • You must be accepted into the program BEFORE any courses can be dual counted.
  • Review the Accelerated Undergraduate/Graduate Degree and Course Designation site. Then, complete the Accelerated Undergraduate/Graduate Status and Course Designation Form to indicate which program they wished to enter, the term in which they will start double counting courses and which courses will be double counted (UG/G) or will be taken for graduate level credit only (Dual). This form will be reviewed and signed by the department head and graduate staff coordinator. The signing of this form indicates that the department is giving approval for the admittance of the student into the accelerated undergraduate/graduate status program.