HNFE Travel Fund
HNFE supports graduate student travel through an awards committee which is comprised of, and run by, graduate students. A faculty advisor provides direction on committee policy when needed.
- Applications are accepted throughout the year for students attending either scientific meetings/conferences or professional development opportunities.
- Students may submit a request for funding one time during the academic year.
- Funds are awarded and amounts vary depending on whether the student is attending and/or presenting at a conference or meeting.
Who should apply:
- Masters and doctoral level HNFE students who will be:
- presenting a paper or poster at a scientific conference or professional development meeting/expo
- attending a scientific conference or professional development meeting/expo (examples include the American College of Sports Medicine and Food and Nutrition Conference and Expo)
Students not academically enrolled in HNFE are not eligible to apply for this award.
Important dates and deadlines:
- Travel fund application (student & advisor): one week after conference submission and / or conference registration
- Funding and award reimbursement form: one week after notice of award
- TEM approval: one week after travel
When and how to apply?
- All students should apply prior to traveling.
- Fill out the HNFE Travel Fund Application for Students by the appropriate deadline.
- Have your advisor fill out the HNFE Travel Fund Survey for Advisors by the appropriate deadline.
- Send a PDF copy of your abstract AND your submission acceptance to email@example.com upon approval of your submission.
Policies and Procedures
- All travel fund applications should be submitted within one week of submitting a conference abstract.
- Students receiving the travel award will be reimbursed for costs up to the amount of $500 if presenting at a conference, or $250 if attending a conference. No reimbursement will be provided above the award amount. Complete the Travel Fund Reimbursement Form as requested and submit to Carolyn Smith.
- Students may request funding one time during the academic year.
- Meal reimbursements may only be granted if an individual is traveling overnight. All meal or food purchases will be reimbursed per diem; therefore, you do not need to keep your receipts for food. Contact firstname.lastname@example.org for more questions.
- Please note: Notice of travel award and funding approval must be granted prior to travel.
ALL travel applications must be approved before travel; retroactive applications will not be accepted.
- Notice of award approval will be sent one month after application submission, and further instructions and details will be included in your award email. Failure to follow provided instructions will result in loss of award.
- All questions may be directed to the HNFE Travel Fund Committee at email@example.com.