Students on drillfield

New Virginia Tech Change of Major process:

Students will be able to change majors three times per year through Hokie Spa:   August, January, and May.  Before going to Hokie Spa, please join the How To Major In HNFE Scholar site to submit your plan of study documents.  

To join the Scholar site:

  • Log in to Scholar
  • Click My Workspace
  • Find Membership in the left menu bar
  • Click Joinable Sites
  • Search How To Major In HNFE
  • Click Join
  • Open the How To Major in HNFE site.  You may need to click on More Sites to see the tab. 
  • After uploading your documents, please schedule an appointment with an academic adviser.  Details can be found in Scholar. 

Questions?  Please email

HNFE requirements to change into the major:

  • Overall Virginia Tech GPA of 2.5 or higher (3.0 for the Dietetics option, double option, or double major)
  • Completion of CHEM 1035* with grade of "C" or higher (or a C- or higher in CHEM 1055 CHEM for Majors

Once in the major, all satisfactory progress rules are enforced.  See page three of the graduation requirements checksheet. 

  • Overall GPA of 2.5 or higher (3.0 for DIET, double option, and double major)
  • In-major GPA of 2.5 or higher
  • Grade of C or better in CHEM 1035, 1036 (or C- or higher in CHEM 1055-1056)
  • Grade of C or better in Organic Chemistry (2535 or 2514)
  • Grade of C or better in HNFE 1004

University Policy on Selecting or Changing Majors:

Selecting or changing a major, double major, or minor

  • Undergraduate students must be enrolled in their major(s) of choice prior to the beginning of their senior year, or by the time they have 30 semester hours to complete before their graduation. 
  • Students seeking double majors must be accepted into the second major by the academic department before the university can award the second major.
  • Changes from one degree program to another (i.e., changes in major) or the addition of a second major usually can be accomplished prior to the senior year, simply by working with one's academic advisor and informing the head(s) of the department(s) and the dean(s) of the college(s) in question.
  • A major (or second major) cannot be selected after the beginning of the senior year.

Are you interested in changing to HNFE and would like to meet with an advisor?  Please attend our regular walk-in hours on Wednesdays from 1:30 - 4:30 p.m. (except during course request and the first week of classes).