Our mission: preparing confident and competent entry-level dietitians who balance evidence-based practice with client-centered care.
Our internship program, which offers two distinct sites in Blacksburg and Northern Virginia, provides interns the variety and depth of experiences needed to work in different dietetics practice settings.
The program emphasizes leadership and professional development and provides solid preparation in all areas of dietetics.
Eight interns in each location benefit from the varied experiences and skills of two directors. Additionaly, each setting shares the resources of Virginia Tech as well as opportunities available in the urban Washington, D.C. area.
The program builds on the unique experiences and interests of each intern, which enables graduates to enter the profession ready to influence the workplace, profession, and food and nutrition policy.
Some unique qualities of our program:
- Rotations are tailored to individual learning needs and interests.
- Weekly class meetings provide frequent opportunities for guest speakers, sharing of experiences, and field trips.
- Interns work with a wide variety of preceptors and are able to experience various professional roles through 15 weeks of clinical rotations (including both in- and out-patient experiences), eight weeks of community rotations (usually in two different practice settings), and six weeks of food service management experience.
- Interns design a two-week elective experience in the practice area and geographic area of their choice.
- Orientation experiences before each major component prepare interns to begin rotations with adequate training and confidence.
- A compact program (beginning in late August and ending in early May) results in early job availability.
- Vacation breaks throughout the program (Thanksgiving break, winter break, and spring break) allow for personal regeneration.
The five-year pass rate of the national registration exam is 100 percent within the first year (97.5 percent on the first attempt)!
The Internship Program in Nutrition and Dietetics is currently granted accredited status by the Accreditation for Education in Nutrition and Dietetics (ACEND) of the Academy of Nutrition and Dietetics, 120 South Riverside Plaza, Suite 2190, Chicago, IL 60606, 312/899-5400, www.eatrightpro.org/acend