To be fully considered for admission to the program, prospective students must identify a Graduate Program Faculty member to serve as an advisee. Students may apply prior to securing a faculty advisor, but they will not be accepted to the program until a faculty member has confirmed.
Applicants to the Graduate Program must have:
- At least a bachelor's degree from an institution comparable to Virginia Tech
- Demonstrated potential for advanced study by the scholastic record achieved in previous programs of study
- Successfully completed required prerequisite coursework
- Review the course prerequisites for the program track of interest.
- If you have taken all of these courses, identify a Graduate Program Faculty member in the respective track who is willing to direct your research program and serve as faculty advisor.
- Complete the Graduate School Application ($75 application fee).
A resume, personal statement, three letters of reference, and official transcripts are required to apply. GRE and TOEFL scores are required for international students only.
Deadlines for full consideration with all materials received:
- Fall semester: February 1
- Spring semester: October 1
International students, please see the Graduate School website for more information on the application process.
For information on funding and assistantships, please see Program Funding.