1989 BA, Development Studies, UC Berkeley
1997 MS, Food Science and Human Nutrition, Colorado State University
2001 PhD, Food Science and Human Nutrition, Colorado State University
Evaluation of the effectiveness of programs, policies, and practices to address
childhood obesity, including:
- Menu labeling of children’s meals at restaurants
- School-based initiatives and wellness policies
- Cooperative Extension programs, including youth EFNEP
- Community food systems (i.e. farmers markets, food delivery
programs, farm-to-fork, etc.)
Pub Med Publications
Menu labeling of children’s meals at restaurants:
School-based initiatives and wellness policies:
Cooperative Extension programs, including youth EFNEP
- Pinard CA, Yaroch AL, Hart MH, Serrano EL, McFerren MM, Estabrooks PA.The Validity and Reliability of the Comprehensive Home Environment Survey (CHES).Health Promot Pract. 2013 Mar 7.
- Baral R, Davis G, Blake S, You W, Serrano E. Using National Data to Estimate Average Cost Effectiveness of EFNEP Outcomes by State/Territory. Journal of Nutrition Education and Behavior 2012; DOI: 10.1016/j.jneb.2012.04.015.
- Serrano E, McFerren M., Lambur M., Ellerbrock M., Hosig K., Franz N., Townsend M., Baker S., Muenning P., Davis G. Cost-Effectiveness Model for Youth EFNEP Programs: What do we Measure and How do We Do It? Journal of Nutrition Education and Behavior 2010; 43: 295-302.
- Bradford T, Serrano E, Cox RH, Lambur M. Development and testing of a nutrition, food safety, and physical activity checklist for EFNEP and FSNE adult programs. Journal of Nutrition Education and Behavior 2010. 2010:123-130.
Community food systems (farmers markets, food delivery programs, farm-to-fork, etc.)
- Byker C, Clark S., Enoch JR, Montgomery T, Serrano E. Heifer International Alternative Break: Sustainable Dietary Impacts. Journal of Hunger and Environmental Nutrition 7:2-3, 122-136.
- Byker C, Shanks J, Misyak S, Serrano E. Characterizing Farmers' Market Shoppers: A Literature Review. Journal of Hunger and Environmental Nutrition 2012; 7(1): 38-52.
- Byker C, Rose, E., Serrano, E. Motivators, Challenges, and Personal Benefits of Adults Following a Local Food Diet. Journal of Agriculture, Food Systems, and Community Development 2010; 1(1).
- Sarjahani, A, Serrano E, Johnson, R. Food and Non-Edible, Compostable Waste in a University Dining Facility. Journal of Hunger and Environmental Nutrition 2009; 4:95-102.
- Rose N, Serrano E, Hosig K, Haas C, Reaves D, Nickols-Richardson S. The 100-Mile Diet: A Community Approach to Promote Sustainable Food Systems Impacts Dietary Quality. Journal of Hunger and Environmental Nutrition 2008; 3:270-285.
Other community-based projects:
- Byker CJ, Pinard CA, Yaroch AL, Serrano EL. New NSLP Guidelines: Challenges and Opportunities for Nutrition Education Practitioners and Researchers. .J Nutr Educ Behav. 2013 Jul 22.
- DiSantis K, L Birch, A Davey,E Serrano, J Zhang, Y Bruton, JO Fisher. Plate Size and Children’s Appetite: Effects of larger dishware on self-served portions and intake. Pediatrics 2012.
- Hernandez Y, J Brosh, K Cason, E Serrano. Psychosocial Measures Used to Assess the Effectiveness of School-based Nutrition Education Programs: Review and Analysis of Self-Report Instruments for Children 8 to 12 Years Old. Journal of Nutrition Education and Behavior 2012.
- Pinard CA, Hart MH, Hodgkins Y, Serrano E, McFerren MM, Estabrooks PA. Smart choices for healthy families: a pilot study for the treatment of childhood obesity in low-income families. Health Education and Behavior 2012; 39: 433-45.
- Holmes AS, Estabrooks PA, Davis GC, Serrano E. Effect of a Grocery Store Intervention on Sales of Nutritious Foods to Youth and Their Families.Journal of the Academy of Nutrition and Dietetics 2012 Apr 16.